It’s funny how much you can get to know a person via social media. While it doesn’t replace the in-depth friendship you form from face-to-face interactions, connecting with people through blogs/twitter/facebook does provide some insight into the character of a person.
I first “met” Layla (or @ohdearitslayla as I know her from Twitter) when I joined Twitter a few months back. Immediately, I realized Layla is the type of sweet, caring person everyone wants to be friends with. She’s always there to respond to your tweets, show some love for your blog posts, or provide a good laugh with one of her tweets.
When Anni (from Lincoln Park on a Lark) contacted me for help installing a PayPal donate button for “Operation Layla”, I was eager to help out.
As the recently created blog states, “Operation Layla is the lovechild of a wonderful group of girls banding together to help an awesome friend in need of surgery—we know Layla from real life, blogging, and twitter. She has impacted our lives by being a supportive friend who is there for us through good times and bad, so now we’re trying to be there for her.” (Check out the site!)
In times of economic hardship, it’s refreshing to see people come together to support one another. The outpouring of love (already) for Layla has been amazing. If you’re on Twitter, you’ve probably seen an explosion of tweets mentioning #operationlayla. A number of bloggers have banded together to spread the word by writing posts about the topic:
- Lincoln Park on a Lark
- Puma Life
- Conventional Bliss
- Jars of Love
- Luckiest in Love
- My Well Calculated Life
- …and even Layla herself! <<<< Click here to see the FULL list of bloggers who have posted about this cause and to read Layla’s point of view!
How can you help?
- Make a donation! All donations are secure through PayPal. Any little bit you can give adds up; by banding together, we’ve already raised more than $2,000!
- Take part in the bake sale!
- Search for the hashtag (#operationlayla) to stay up-to-date on everything.
- Post a tweet mentioning #operationlayla and Layla herself by putting @ohdearitslayla in your tweet.
- Post a link to the site (http://operationlayla.wordpress.com/) on Facebook and encourage your friends to visit.
- Visit Jars of Love and purchase some yummy treats. 100% of the proceeds benefit Layla.